Breakfast - the most important meal of the day
The most important meal of the day is breakfast, because an empty stomach makes it much harder to get going in the morning and start the day full of energy. So it's no wonder that so many people consider their daily morning meal to be so significant.
While in Germany a simple spread of bread with jam, sausage or cheese is considered the perfect breakfast, in South American cuisine it can be a bit more unusual in the morning. Here one does not shrink from it, already to early hour at the stove to place itself and something completely special for the morning to cook. Be it small empanadas, quesadillas, quinoa bread or arepas (corncakes filled with cheese). All according to the motto: For the most important meal of the day, it may also be something special.
Now, many will probably claim that they simply do not have the time in the morning to stand in the kitchen and cook. But your worries should be taken away. The dishes of South American cuisine not only taste particularly good, but are also prepared very quickly. This is also the case with the classic breakfast burrito. This one is ready to eat in just 15 minutes. In the following part, we will show you exactly how to prepare it.
Simple and fast - The perfect recipe for a breakfast burrito
Cooking time: 15 min.
For 4 servings you will need:
- 450 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of cold vegetable frying fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 375 ml water
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 bell bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
If you have all the ingredients, you can start preparing the dough:
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder and shortening in a bowl. Mix well with your hands until everything is incorporated.
- Slowly add water and knead the dough with your hands. The flour should absorb the liquid, after which the dough becomes smooth.
- Shape the dough into balls and place them one by one into the tortilla press. Squeeze the press to form the tortillas.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add tortillas one at a time and fry for about 30-40 seconds per side.
- Heat a skillet (not a cast iron skillet) over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add black beans and chili flakes and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a bowl. Add cheese.
- Add eggs to skillet and reduce heat to low. Stir for about 3-4 minutes until eggs are cooked through.
- Top each tortilla with salsa, black bean mixture, scrambled eggs, tomato and avocado.
- Finally, roll up the burrito and enjoy.
So, if you don't feel like having the usual slice of bread or the same bowl of cereal in the mornings anytime soon, you can just look around South American cuisine. Here you'll find enough dishes that will give you a good start to the day with a slightly different taste.
Did you like this recipe? Then you'll find many more delicious recipe ideas from South American cuisine in our e-books!