It has to be bright and colorful, fiery and spicy, and full of interesting contrasts: Yes, Mexican cuisine is a true feast for the senses. We have the combination of millennia-old Aztec tradition and Spanish finesse to thank for a number of delicacies. Besides enchiladas, guacamole and chili con carne, it is especially the filled tortillas that have found their way across the Atlantic to us - and considering their popularity, will certainly not disappear again!
Tortilla recipes abound. But how you can prepare the filled tortillas completely authentically according to Mexican model in the domestic kitchen, you will find out here with us. But first we should clarify ...
What exactly are Mexican tortillas, anyway?
We admit: Between taco, taquito, tequila and tortilla, it's easy to get lost in the shuffle. However, as a symbol of Mexican cuisine, the tortilla is no longer a rarity in our country and can be found in almost every supermarket at home.
While the wheat tortilla is becoming more and more popular, when it comes to preparing tortillas, nothing passes by the traditional corn tortilla. The soft dough patties are mostly known as "wrap" in our latitudes and are just waiting to be deliciously filled by you. Best of all, our tortilla recipe is easy to make at home with the help of a handy tortilla press.
Here's how: The perfect tortilla recipe for home
Within minutes, these delicious corn tortillas will take you back to your last tropical vacation on the coast of the touristy Yucatán Peninsula. For 20 delicious corn tortillas, you'll need the following ingredients, which may even already be waiting to be used in your kitchen cupboards:
- 300 grams of corn flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 milliliters of lukewarm water
All the ingredients for the tortilla recipe together? Then proceed with the preparation:
- Put corn flour, salt and half of the lukewarm water in a bowl and mix. Gradually add the remaining water and mix until homogeneous. If the dough is still too tough, add a little water.
- Knead the dough until it can be formed into an elastic ball. 3.
- Divide the tortilla dough into 20 equal portions.
- Place the balls of tortilla dough one by one in the center of the two halves of the tortilla press.
- For easier removal, it is recommended to line with parchment paper beforehand.
- When the dough of the wheat tortillas swells evenly on the sides of the tortilla press, you can open it. Perfectly shaped Mexican tortillas see the light of day!
- Heat a coated pan without adding oil and bake the corn tortillas over medium heat for 15 seconds on one side first. Then flip and bake the other side for 30 seconds. Then flip back and bake for another 15 seconds.
- Tortilla filling is not ready yet? Until ready to serve, you can keep the wheat tortillas warm in a preheated oven at 80°C or simply store them in a handy tortilla warmer.
The finishing touch: serving tortillas made easy
Anything your Tex-Mex heart desires can go into your stuffed tortilla: from meat to salsa to vegetables and various dips, the tortilla filling sets no limits. All-around favorites for stuffed tortillas are creamy guacamole, crunchy lettuce, fiery jalapeños and diced onions. Chicken nuggets, chili sin or con carne and shredded cheddar also make regular appearances in filled tortillas. There are no limits to your creativity!
Before we forget: What can't be missing in a real Mexican tortilla is a fruity tomato salsa and, of course, an (above-average amount) of fresh cilantro. We wish you a good appetite and a lot of fun in "wallowing in vacation memories". Viva México!
Did you like the recipe? Then you will find many more delicious recipe ideas from South American cuisine in our e-books!